Friday, March 7, 2008

From The Preacher's Desk


A Riddle

Here is a riddle I once heard:

I am your constant companion. I am your greatest helper or heaviest burden.
I will push you onward or drag you down to failure.
I am completely at your command.
I am the servant of all great people, and, alas, of all failures, too.
Take me, train me, be firm with me, and I will place the world at your feet. Be easy with me and I will destroy you.
Who am I?


Answer: I am habit.

We all have habits—they can be good or bad. We must develop good habits and pass those on to our children. When it comes to attending church, praying and reading the Bible, the apple does not fall far from the tree. A recent Zogby poll of teens andtheir parents overwhelmingly confirms that parents have the most influence ontheir children’s religious activity. You see, the habits young people have regarding worship, follows almost directly in line with the habits of their parents.

What can we do? Fill your life with good habits. Look for yourself in the Bible, Titus 2:7,. "In all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility."

In reality you can’t break a bad habit, you must replace the habit with a new behavior. Paul explained this process of change when he addressed the Ephesian Church. He taught them: "Put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and… put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness" (Eph. 4:22-24). Notice that he encouraged them to put off one behavior by putting on a new one as they were spiritually renewed. Develop good habits like regular church attendance and Bible study. Model these for your children. Set the example. You won’t be disappointed by the outcome!
Rob Combs, Minister

No comments: